Luigi Zanasi

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:59:20 -0500, Herman Munster wrote:

My questions. If I were to rebuild the door, what wood would you use?

Clear western red cedar. Other clear stable woods could be used (e.g. Doug
fir, hem-fir, redwood, white pine, luan, etc.)

It will probably be painted white. But the wood needs to hold up to the
weather.

Cedar is best (or maybe redwood). But if it's painted and maintained,
other woods mean 30 years instead of 40 (YMMV)

MT joinery or pocket screws or biscuits.

MT best. Biscuits might work. I don't believe screws would hold up to the
stress.

Q2. Do you see any problem salvaging the hardware (hinges, tracking to hold
said glass, knob, etc) to re-use on new door.

As long as they are not rusted.

TIA

YAMW

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email