Stefek Zaba wrote:
wrote:

Do I just need a wireless access point and are these actually

wireless
devices or will I need to cable this into my modem/router?

A wireless access point has an Ethernet port, through which it

attaches
to the fixed (wired) Ethernet. It bridges wireless signals in range -

passing frames to and from those devices and devices attached to its
Ethernet port.

So yes, it needs wiring in to one of your modem/router's Ethernet

ports;
and therefore you may find it just as easy to move the box you have -

which AsIUnderstandIt has both an ADSL port for your phone line and
wireless capability (and I'm guessing one or more wired Ethernet

ports
too). If you're just experimenting with a better location for it, you

can run a gert big long RJ11 extension - they're cheap as chips -

while
shifting the Belkin about the place, and worry about neatening up the

cable route once you know it's worth putting the ADSL-wireless box
halfway up the lounge wall, above the kitchen cupboard, or wherever.
(Since the ADSL signal's travelled several - mayhap tens - of

thousands
of feet between the exchange and your house, an extra 50 foot of
extension cable isn't going to make a massive difference...)

Great, more cables to hide, that was the whole point of wireless!

I'll try a new card in my laptop first and then experiment with a new
location for the modem/router, only problem here is that I wanted my
home PC to be wired into the ethernet ports as opposed to wireless,
this means I will have to get a wireless card for my PC too, Uggggggg.

Thanks for the advice Stefek.

Cheers

Richard