Default Computer CD player (ROM) mode

Hi;

I have Win98SE and have discovered that audio CDs play through the
motherboard. I can unplug the audio cable from the drive and it still
works.

I don't want this, it's an old 400Mhz K6-2 and I want to conserve
resources. Almost all my music plays from MP3s right off of the HD so
I'm not that concerned about the audio quality when playing a CD.

I've looked and looked and I can't seem to find a setting to disable
this function, anyhone know how to do this ? or do I have to use a
crappy old soundcard or CDROM that doesn't support the feature ?
Unfortunately this is not an option, one's a DVD and the burner is a
48X, which surprisingly cranks up to about 29X on data and about 12X on
audio. Crappy old soundcards don't sound so great on MP3s, so I don't
want to screw myself there. If very worse comes to worse should I
consider just buying a cheap CD player ?

Can this be done, and if so how ?

Thanks in advance.

JURB