Default Volume Problem - Please Help...

Hey gang! Lately, at a thrift store, I picked up an old 80's GE Radio
with AM/FM/VHF High bands. I've salvaged a few radios before, but this
one has me stumped. I turn it on and on all bands, the sound is VERY
low at the maximum volume. I shot some contact cleaner into all the
controls, and still nothing. I mainly picked up the radio because it
was a small one that also had the VHF high band.

I did open it up in the back to check the battery contacts, and someone
had left old batteries inside and it was a mess. Needless to say, it
was such a mess that it had pretty much destroyed the contacts, but
this one runs off AC as well. I checked inside and it was made in 1984.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong here?

I'm just a beginner here, but would like to fix it possible.

Jim