Rex B

The way it was done on old firearms, using brass or silver:

Groove was cut into the wood in the pattern desired.
Flat narrow strips of metal (~1/32x1/8xlength) was tapped into groove,
leaving the edge slightly proud of surface.
First coat of finish, usually boiled linseed oil, was applied and
allowed to cure.
Metal was filed and sanded flush to the wood.
Additional coats of finish were applied.

TrailRat wrote:
How does one go about inlaying metal into wood. I'm talking about
metals like alu, brass, gold and silver. I was thinking it would be as
easy as simply melting the metal over a bunsen burner in a crucible and
pouring it in carved channels on the wood. Would this work? What would
the effect be on the wood itself? I would like method that would allow
the metal to be flush with the wood when finished.

For gold and silver I thought of gilt but it doesn't produce the right
finish for me.

Thanks for any help.

TR

--