John Moorhead

Weeelllllll...

First off, I don't think that a bunsen burner is going to give you a hot
enough flame for anything other than Tin, Lead and Solder, and while your
tastes may be different, I don't think these metals would be my first choice
for inlay.

If you got a welding torch or MAPP Gas torch, that would probably do the
trick, for melting some ot the other metals ('cept aluminum) but then
"pouring it in carved channels on the wood" might give trouble. I think the
effect would be similar to a BBQ - I'm sure it would set the work on fire,
or burn the wood severely.

Why not buy metal ribbon or wire and set that in a routed groove or rabbet,
depending on your application. You should, with some skill, be able to rout
or cut a groove that will set the material flush with the wood - set it in
with epoxy and that should do the trick.

If you do opt to go with the Bunsen Burner/Torch/Pouring Cruicble method,
PLEASE post pictures of the process in ABPW. If your method is successful,
I'll certainly eat my words and will have learned something. If it isn't,
we can all have a good laugh, providing you aren't injured.

John Moorhead

"TrailRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
How does one go about inlaying metal into wood. I'm talking about
metals like alu, brass, gold and silver. I was thinking it would be as
easy as simply melting the metal over a bunsen burner in a crucible and
pouring it in carved channels on the wood. Would this work? What would
the effect be on the wood itself? I would like method that would allow
the metal to be flush with the wood when finished.

For gold and silver I thought of gilt but it doesn't produce the right
finish for me.

Thanks for any help.

TR