A.M. Wood

Tim Zimmerman wrote:
My Martha Stewart Hardwood Chopping Block (with four rubber
feet) splits in two after we left it in the rain.

*snip*

What is a practical way
to keep a chopping block from splitting?

Thanks

Well, if you're going to leave it outside in the rain, I'd say go with
something like Thompson's water sealer or a similar product if you want
to keep a natural finish. Otherwise, a good coat of paint will do the
trick. Not sure about using it for food after that, but I probably
wouldn't chop up anything for the dinner table on a board I kept
outside anyway so that wouldn't be an issue from my perspective.

Doubt it is somehow defective as some have mentioned. I would imagine
any piece of wood furniture is going to split and crack if you leave it
outside unprotected from the elements. That kind of use is well
outside the scope of what the manufacturer intended and it seems kind
of unethical to return it as somehow defective.