TrailRat wrote:
How does one go about inlaying metal into wood. I'm talking about
metals like alu, brass, gold and silver. I was thinking it would be

as
easy as simply melting the metal over a bunsen burner in a crucible

and
pouring it in carved channels on the wood. Would this work? What

would
the effect be on the wood itself? I would like method that would

allow
the metal to be flush with the wood when finished.

For gold and silver I thought of gilt but it doesn't produce the

right
finish for me.

Thanks for any help.

TR

Depends on what effect you want. Usual method for large areas is to
cut your pattern into your brass/german silver/silver sheet with a
piercing saw, transfer the outline of the cut out areas to the wood,
then chisel/carve/rout out the pattern. Use Prussian blue/candle smoke
to determine the high areas. Fasten in with glue or small screws.
Engrave as desired. See some pictures of the fancier
Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifles for examples.

You can also take thin sheet, file one of the edges into a "V" and tap
it into previously carved slits in your project. Dress down flush.
Wire can also be used the same way after flattening.

Unless the metal's got a really low melting point, your idea of casting
right into the wood isn't going to work. All the metals you mention
will burn the wood. I suppose you could use silver or gold amalgam for
a filler, I've seen that mentioned in one really old stock-making book,
but I wouldn't recommend it these days. Your work might get tagged as
toxic waste.

Stan