Harold and Susan Vordos

"Vinny" wrote in message

Regards the piping-------I know I'll sound like an idiot, but I don't

have a
lot of faith in the plastic stuff. We used rubber hose, a product made

by
Goodyear to Heatway's specifications for the purpose of hydronic

heating.
I figure it will tolerate a little misalignment, but at this point

that's a
non-issue. I'm sure the plastic would have worked equally as well, and

it's
one hell of a lot cheaper to buy. We paid roughly 70¢/ft. for the 3/8"
rubber hose. While we didn't pay for a trace, they make the same

product
with a trace so it can be detected easily. I felt no need because it's
placed deep enough.

Harold

Sorry to tell you this but Goodyear made some very bad hose in the
early 1990's, there E2 series. it caused Heatway to go bankrupt,
ruined 1,000's of heating systems. I had installed a few of them and
they failed. It was a disaster for the industry (and me) . There is
now a $ 200+ million class action settlement underway. Heatway was
bought by Watts, and now makes a very good all EPDM hose called Onix.

Which explains why the hose that was provided was the next generation of
hose, far different from that which was in their original catalog. The
hose we got is Onix (matches the description in the catalog we have now),
and it isn't plastic. Our system has been active for 5 years and has
functioned flawlessly. Hoses that are exposed are still in great
condition.

Could you describe some of the problems the old hose yielded? Anything in
particular I should keep watch for?

Harold