Pat Ford

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article .com, Bob

says...

I now have a 03 Seville with the above and Stabiltrack. I have tried
to slide it a few times but the software taps whatever brake it wants
and keeps you on track. It works. Fortunately I have not needed it
yet but with the next snow storm that could all change. Give the
engineers a break. They have a good thing. BTW, ABS is on most large
aircraft to help keep them on the runway in wet and slippery
conditions. If this was bad technology, it would never end up on an
airplane.

The trouble with stability enhancers and ABS systems is, that they
do NOT create traction where there was none before.

In this regard, they can make things worse - because the user
does not feel like anything is getting loose, until there's
too little traction to be driving at the speed the car is
travelling. Then things come uncorked.

One would think that accident rates for ABS equipped cars
would be a lot lower then those without. Apparently, at least
in the recent past, this is not true.

Jim

You can always tell around here who got their first 4x4, first snowfall and
they are gone, in the ditch into parked cars, on top of snowbanks. Why? the
4x4 gives you more go but the stop is still the same, in 4 wheel drive its
hard to tell how slippery the road is until you need to stop or steer.
Pat