Dave Hinz

On 18 Feb 2005 09:18:11 -0800, jw wrote:
ABS used to qualify one for an insurance discount. At some point, I
don't remember when exactly, this was discontinued. When I asked about
it, my agent told me that studies had shown that people with ABS were
getting in more accidents than those without. He attributed it to the
fact that those with ABS felt they had superior braking capabilities
and could stop no matter what. There extra aggressive driving was
countering their "better" braking technology.

Well, that's your insurance agent's take on it. Without knowing
what "studies" he's talking about, it's impossible to evaluate it,
though.

ABS does improve braking ability IFF(not a typo) the user understands
it's limitations.

Well, they don't have to understand the physics involved, how the
slip is measured and countered and all that - they just have to know
how to use it and what's appropriate.

It still does not allow you break any laws of
physics, but enables us to approch closer to the limits.

Yes. Just like idiots in 4WD cars will think they're invincible,
the same sort of idiot will drive worse if they think ABS makes
them into Superman. 30 years ago, Radial Tires were probably
the thing, 10 years before that it was probably seat belts. Prior
to that, it was probably cars with roofs that "made" people drive stupid.

Fact is, it's the stupid people, not the technology they're driving,
that makes them do stupid things.

Dave Hinz