Garlicdude

Robert Salasidis wrote:

What kind of finish, are you getting now? How are you measuring it now,
and what type of finish are you trying to achieve, reallisticly?

I wish I had a profilometer, but I am just using the feeler type
gages, and can estimate I am getting about 0.4 um (about 16 u in).

I would like to double that if possible.

Robert, I checked my Machinery's Handbook, Surface Roughness Produced by
Common Production Methods, and IF your presently achieving a 16 finish
by milling your doing pretty well. I think to get a MEASURABLE 8 finish
would require a good machine, especially the spindle, and a solid
setup. Having said that wiper inserts, button style cutter, or a larger
radius on your present cutter insert will all help to give you a better
finish.

--
Regards,
Steve Saling