Stormin Mormon

I live in a trailer, so it may not convert to your experience. But, I've got
three years experience as a HVAC installer, so maybe some of that would be
relevant.

How I did it. Well, I was at a seminar on split system AC, and asked if they
had any downflow furnaces. The company had a couple left over, a brand they
don't sell any more. So they gave me a good price. I took the van and
trailer there, we loaded it all up and off I went.

In my case, the furnace was an old Miller downflow. The duct between the
furnace and the floor run was nearly useles, and I'm sure I was heating the
space under the trailer quite a bit. Of course, I framed that in nicely, and
it's very efficient, now.

As for reccomendations, I'd suggest call half a dozen heating companies. See
who makes sense, and sounds like he (or she) knows what she's doing. Look
for good manners, no swearing, and no pressure on you to make a quick
decision.

While installing a furnace, now is the time to consider central AC. Though,
it is possible to install the AC coil now, and come back for the outdoor
unit later.

The new 90% plus furnaces seem to be the rage. They take a different flue
pipe (white PVC) and also require a condensate drain for the water.

As to brands, I don't have a lot of experience. I installed Heil, Rheem,
Rudd, and my own unit is a Luxaire. Which I'm told is a York.

Some companies can calculate the heat load of your house, 100K may be too
much or too little.

If you have a generator, might be time also to wire in a transfer switch for
the furnace, so you can run it off your generator.

I learned that if you want to get flamed, post on alt.hvac.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
1,900 sq ft split level CBS ranch, circa 1964, with a flaky natural gas
furnace, in the temperate Portland (OR) Metro Area.

Time to replace it. Currently, have a Lennox Conservator III G16,
Model: G1603/4-100-3, Input: 100,000 BTU/Hr, Air rise: 35-65 F, and
ducting to match. Only have 5,000 sq ft of lot, and drilling is not
practical, so practicality of a ground source heat pump doesn't seem to
be there.

If you have recently replaced your furnace, would appreciate hearing
how you did it and what you learned.

Thank you kindly in advance for your on-topic remarks. Sales droids
will be spaced, out the airlock, ga-WOOSH!