Dave

SPC wrote:
All,

I have a traditional 1930's semi with 1970's panel staircase. I am
about to embark on ripping out the panels and installing spindles and
a new handrail. Before anyone asks, no the original spindles are not
behind the panels unfortunately.

Does anyone have any advice on the steps involved or can point me
towards some instrutions? Is it DIY'able or should I get someone in
(bearing in mind I am a fairly inexperienced woodworker)?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

SPC

It's very straightforward but would be tedious without an electric mitre
saw. You can buy all the bits (spindles, newels, base rail, hand rail,
etc) from a number of sources including the sheds, Richard Burbridge are
well known but there are others. There are different ways to fix the
handrail to the newels, some easier and some more traditional.
I've seen a good "how to" leaflet on the web somewhere but can't find it
now - try spending some time with google.
It's worth doing, we had an 80s ranch style staircase with square newels
- yeuk.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)