Bob Mannix

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
FWIW WiFi reception is generally poor in this house, which has some
400mm-thick internal walls. I now have two base stations (one Belkin,
one unbranded) and I still get *very* patchy coverage.

Yes. I never seem to get anything like the advertised reception in my

house.
I would be happy with 1/10th the published range. This is with only a thin
tongue and grooved wall in the way. Not even masonry.

Christian.

Only going horizontal and vertical (IYSWIM) the longest jump in my house is
two rooms along (well three if you count the room it's in as it's the far
side) and one down, plus there's a bloody great masonry chimney in the way.
At that point the signal strength is low but it still works. The upstairs
rooms are thin plaster block construction (don't ask). Anywhere out of the
shadow of the chimney is good to excellent signal strength.

This is using

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601

and a Tosh (Centrino enabled) laptop.

--