Charlie Self

foggytown Feb 18, 6:38 am show options

"From: "foggytown" - Find messages by this author
Date: 18 Feb 2005 06:38:12 -0800

Pocket screw setups look much easier than mortise & tennon and,
apparently, are just as strong. Unless a through tennon extending
beyond the rail is required for structural or decorative reasons, are
the two systems actually interchangable?"

No. Pocket holes work extremely well in some instances, such as face
frames, but are close to dead worthless in others. For example, I'd
never use pocket holes to attach legs to a table apron when that table
is going to get any heavy use. For headboards and footboards of beds,
M&T is much more secure. I like pocket holes for face frames, but don't
use them for much else.