Eric R Snow

On 18 Feb 2005 14:09:11 GMT, Ignoramus29670
wrote:

I have this enclosure

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ferrups-meat-smoker/

and I would like to remove paint from inside, and to preserve paint
on the outside.

The reason why I want to remove the inside paint (and replace it with
a BBQ grill paint) is food safety. I do not know what kind of paint it
is. The expected temps inside are going to be about 250 degrees max.

The reason why I want to keep the outside paint is for looks and to
prevent rust.

I think that I have a few alternatives.

1. A wire brush on a drill.

2. Sandblasting. Can I do it relatively inexpensively with a
harbor freight compressor? We have a HF store nearby and perhaps I
could buy some sand blaster kit, which I would then keep for future
projects. I know nothing about sand blasting.

The advantage of a wire brush approach is that I do not have to drive
to harbor freight, spend money and time on that, but it is a time
consuming task nevertheless.

thanks

Nice cabinet. Don't paint the inside. You want the smoke to coat the
inside. In fact, after you get rid of the paint inside, run several
cycles of smoke to coat the inside before you put any edibles in.
After stripping, you should heat the inside for an extended period of
time, a few hoiurs or so, at a fairly high temperature, to be sure
you drive off all bad taste. I worked with a guy who use a steel
cabinet about fridge size for his smoker. The first batch of salmon
was ruined because even though he thought the inside was clean enough
after using paint stripper it wasn't.
ERS