TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Giving exact correct info is kinda like asking you what furnace and
ducting is needed without you seeing it on a old leaky house. Photos
would help alot. But few ideas and concerns are , you need to find out
if oil or wax was used on the paneling . If it is not clean your paint
may fail as nothing bonds to wax or oils. Wash an area of the paneling,
then take alcohol and see if wax residue comes off on a clean white rag.
For the paneling you may need something made to bond to poor surfaces
and gloss, a primer for your job not regular primer.

Id look for dark spots-areas near the bottom and the North exerior
walls, Spill some bleach on it, if it comes alot cleaner in 10 minutes
you have mold. No paint should be put on over mold as the paint wont
last. Mold is a plant. If you have mold which is likely if you are in
shade-humid-on the swamp get a garden sprayer and allot of bleach. Spray
the bleach before you power wash, letting it sit 30 minutes or so. You
can dilute it 50% but diluting it to much and it wont work well.

Cyprus wood? I don`t know cyprus wood but if it is an oily wood like
cedar you need oil primer or stain hiding or oil blead through will
happen. Coverage , again , can`t see it. is it porrus , dry, cracked?
Does water soak right in? Paint cans or product spec sheets have
coverage amounts, they are usualy a bit too optimistic. On old dry
cedar I can get real poor coverage maybe 100sq ft gal. Yes spraying is
best quickest. But you can waste paint if not careful . For the exterior
Consider oil stain, it wont peel , you can usualy spray 2 coats in a day
and don`t need a separate primer. New drywall you use cheap latex
primer, but the paneling may need something special, again can`t see it
to know what is on it now. A local paint store and or Sherwin Williams
will know your wood the best as I`ve never even seen Cyprus . They have
many grades of primer and finish products, they will help you pick the
best for your place. Don`t put product on hot surfaces or in the sun,
quick curing is usualy bad.

This is Turtle.

I got some good stuff from your post but a few things have changed. We will not
be painting any of the crpress inside for all the cypress walls will be sheet
rocked up and mudded up. Also the holes where you can see the outside is hair
line cracks and i don't think rain will get to the sheet rock walls. The other
1/2 of the inside will be the Old panneling that will be painted over is dry as
a bone and has not seen paint or oil paint in 50 years. The Original stain on
the panneling is gone and no shine or color left at all. We was going to sand it
a little to make the primer stick and paint over it. now to the look of the
paint on it. well It's a cook up place or the Old Boys Club house and if the
paint peals in some places. well we can scrap it a little and put more paint on
it. Also two of the hands are going up there early in the morning to wash the
inside down with a 3,200 psi wash down gun. We have it gutted now and the
Cypress floor leak the water out as fast as you shoot the gun. So all the mold ,
oil , paint , or anything else will be washed off the walls and floor before we
sheet rock and paint anything. If you have cypress walls , floor, and beams
under it. Water don't hurt anything and you can bring in a water hose to just
clean up. now after the sheet rock is put in this story will change. everything
is going to be spotless before we start. and Yes this camp has NO insulation at
all and has 2 -- 2 ton window units and a Pot Belly wood Stove for heat.

Now the outside walls are cypress and the paint we used on it 25 years ago is
all but gone. Now it did stay on there good for 15 years or so before it started
pealing off. i talk to the fellow at the hardware store where we get the paint
and he said the cypress will suck up the paint and if you keep rolling the paint
on it. it will just take all the paint you have till you paint it one time and
let it dry and then it will stop sucking up the paint when you paint it again.
if you don't paint one coat and let it dry first. the paint your painting with
will never get a good coat because of it will keep taking paint till you stop up
the pores of the wood and then it will stop taking the paint. We have not bought
the paint yet and we might look at the oil stain paint for because of the
cypress being a paint sucker upper. i remember painting a placve in the front
area about 6 or 8 times tring to get a red coat to cover it. it just kept
sucking it up.

Tomorrow we are going out there to cut brush & wash it down inside and out and
get everything ready to paint and also hang the sheet rock. I will have a better
assistment tomorrow after we tear it apart .

TURTLE