Purple wrote:
I moved into my house last May and today I was removing the curtains

the
previous owners had put up in the master bedroom. When I took them

down I
noticed that the wallpaper has curled off the wall at the top corner

of the
window and has bubbled away from the wall all the way down.

mix up some wallpaper paste, brush it on the back and pres flat.
Unfortunately this only sometimes gives a properly flat result, but is
about as good as I've found so far. The trick is not to bend the paper,
if it still wants to lie more or lses flat it should smooth down ok and
give a perfect finish.

I know that the previous owners son did a lot of work in the house

himself,
including having a stopcock that is on the wrong way round, to you

need to
switch it to off instead of on if you want water!

eh?

desired. Could the
wallpaper coming away from the wall just mean that they cut corners

when
putting it up or could it be a sign of damp?

yes, yes

If it is a sign of damp, is there a way I could definitely check to

see if
it is damp

sure, the main signs of damp a
plaster bubbling up and disintegrating
black muold
musty smell
and in some cases rotting wood

I dont recommend those damp meters, as
a) they dont measure damp, they measure conductivity.
b) they can be used to ascertain damp in wood, not
plaster/wallpaper/etc
c) theyre routinely misinterpreted by the inexpert, the readings they
give are *not* a reading of dampness.
d) theyre pointless in this case.

or do I need to call out a surveyor?

no, thats like calling 999 because you almost cut your finger.

Also if it is damp, how
would I treat it?

No reason to think you have damp problem so far.

Sorry if I have asked some daft questions but this was my exs'

department
and since we split up recently I am trying to do the best I can

though I
have never been DIY minded, closest I have got was when I painted a

couple
of walls in my old house!

Thankyou for any help you can give me

Francesca