Ken Weitzel

Mike wrote:

Hi

I don't know much about electronics. I have a kenwood ka-5500 amp
which has a problem with the tone on/defeat button. The speakers
crackle when i press it and i have to spend time messing with it to
make it "sit" right otherwise the left speaker goes quiet. Even then
it will move on its own account after time resulting in the same
problem.

I tried some of that fast drying electronic lubricant type stuff
(spray) and that seemed to help a little but it's still a frustrating
problem.

I don't need the bass and treble controls on the amp (happy with a
flat sound) so i was wondering if i was able to disable the switch all
together on the amp whether that would fix the problem. Just a bit
worried about opening up the amp and messing around. Novice here

The headphone jack is very noisy too....a lot of background hiss
noise.

Anyone care to offer some advice?

Mike

Hi Mike...

The switch just needs cleaning, not lubricating

Go into whatever the OZ equivalent of Radio Shack is,
buy yourself a spray can of "electronic contact cleaner".

If you don't want to open it up, then try this. Disconnect
it, put a layer of paper towels or waste cloth on the floor.
and prop the machine on it so the know is up. Remove the
know if it's removable just by pulling. Then using the
nozzle that came with the can of cleaner spray a little in,
while working the switch vigorously.

Take care.

Ken