Martin H. Eastburn

Bob May wrote:

Kind of supprised that the drill bit doesn't include a system for regulating
the pressure on the working face of the bit.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Ok - think of the extreme pressure - many, many times that on the surface of earth.
Very special capacitors and transistors, resistors..... Pressure and temperature are
very high. Then add the drill temp - tough really.

I in another life years ago consulted with a small company Basin Surveys that made tools
for deep under ground measurements. Later in life, in the 80's and 90's I worked for
Schlumberger in an ATE division - but having degrees in the stuff and knowing what was
going on already, I got to talk to some of the tool designers and developers. I was
working with them on ASIC devices - to work down hole. The amount of atomic and nuclear
physics that goes on during well services is far outside the common thought. Shaped charges
nuclear bombardment and then measure the resultant return impulses. Far out stuff really,
but brings home the bacon and next well.

Then there is the comm line from tools down hole - while drilling - that measure what is
being cut and the speed of cut. It is done with a long wire - the drill stem. Ground is
the other connection. Oh this - the real time cutting and measuring - is less than 10 years
old - I mean it is really new stuff.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn