Dan Murphy

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
:

"Dan Murphy" wrote in message
.. .
snip------

I think that the
Compac is the best, but I like my Bestest better than my Interapid.

I've owned two Bestest indicators for over 30 years and wouldn't be
without them. Aside from replacing the lenses, neither of them have
given a moment of trouble.

I just got a brand new one to replace the one that needs repair. The old
one was broken back in '91 when I let a sevice tech borrow it. He
crunched it by running a slide into it. I had it repaired and it's been
fine ever since. A couple weeks ago I let someone use it and it flew out
of his hand when he was taking it off of his Mag base. So, I'm thinking
about getting it fixed again, but it's old and I'm not sure it's worth
it. It still works but it seems to have a little side play, and the clock
hand is a little skewed. A new bushing, crystal, and reset the hand it
should be good to go for another twenty years or until I lend it out
again. The Interapid works fine. It's just doesn't seem to be as smooth
as a new one. Plus the clock face doesn't rotate with the crystal
anymore. It moves about a quarter of what the crystal moves. Drives me
mad, so I use it on the bench centers where I can use the fine adjust on
the holder to zero the indicator. I'm thinking this should be a no
brainer to fix and calibrate. $67.00 seems steep though. I have plenty of
good working indicators besides. I scored a brand new Mitutoyo .0001" on
Ebay for $12.00. In the plastic and perfect. I love it when people list
stuff improperly.

Dan