Harold and Susan Vordos

"jw" wrote in message
oups.com...
One thing I should mention too....

Whoever does your floor. Don't let them put in chloride. They do it
so it will set up faster and they can get the hell out of there. The
slower concrete cures the stronger it gets. Plus if it cures to
quickly, it will shrink faster than it can accomodate and you will get
stray cracks where you normally wouldn't.

I fully subscribe to that! Not only did I not permit chloride, I also
draped the three 10' X 10' doorways with a large tarp to exclude sunlight
from hitting my floor. I also kept it wet for a few days by spraying with
water.

I had one very negative experience with calcium chloride, a basement floor
that was poured before the subfloor was installed. It was done on a very
warm day in May, in Utah. The clowns that ordered the 'crete wanted to hit
it and get out, which they did. Between the chloride and the sun, the
'crete got so hot you couldn't touch it, and by evening there were cracks
everywhere, many of them 1/8" wide, some perhaps even more.

Avoid calcium chloride and sunlight as if they're the plague. A long,
slow cure is exactly what you need for good concrete.

Harold