Robert Salasidis

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:44:09 -0800, Garlicdude
wrote:

Robert Salasidis wrote:

Is it worthwhile to use a wiper insert to improve the surface finish
of brass when doing a facing operation.

I have a 3" face mill, and would like to get the best face finish
possible. I am using sharp, positive rake Iscar inserts currently, but
wonder whether adding a single wiper to teh cutter would result in a
better finish.

If the answer is yes, what is the incremental finish quality one can
expect (some experiences would be nice - ie Ra finish before and
after)

What kind of finish, are you getting now? How are you measuring it now,
and what type of finish are you trying to achieve, reallisticly?

I wish I had a profilometer, but I am just using the feeler type
gages, and can estimate I am getting about 0.4 um (about 16 u in).

I would like to double that if possible.