Bob Minchin

Default ceiling fans

NC wrote:

Another question !!
I currently have a main light right in the centre of the living room ceiling
(pretty standard stuff) but would like to replace this with a ceiling fan. I
have seen some decent ones in B&Q for about £100, with remote control
operation. Now, my question is, how is best to wire this in ?? I am happy to
lose the ceiling light - and as a result wire into that.

However, this will leave me with a normal light switch on the wall. As the
fan is remote controlled, and there therefore wont be a dial on the wall in
the place of the light switch fro controlling it, am I best leaving the
light switch in place and using it as a form of isolation (rathan than
relying on the inbuilt 'off' setting) to turn it off. Or am I best replacing
this light switch with a blank plate and wiring up the inards so that
they're 'always' on ?? (can otherwise be isolated from the main fuse board
not far away).

Any other ideas / suggestions for approaching this ?

your ceiling rose will likely have a neutral, a permanent live and a switched
live. Why not connect your fan between neutral and permanent live. What you do
with the switch is up to you.
On my manually switched fans, i run a wire throught the central mounting tube to
the light below to give normal light switching and independent fan power from
the loop through live.