Appliance Repair Aid

Our GE washer is about 20 years old, and the faithful ol' thing
has developed its first serious problem. It fills with water
fine, but when I pull the knob to begin the agitation cycle it
does not agitate. Instead it makes a noise that's a bit grindy.

Coincidentally, I noticed that the water pump leaks. That
couldn't relate to the above problem, could it?

Hi,

Coincidentally, I noticed that the water pump leaks. That
couldn't relate to the above problem, could it?

If it leaked water onto the clutch assembly for a while and the clutch
assembly isn't driving the belt and transmission....yes it could.

It fills with water
fine, but when I pull the knob to begin the agitation cycle it
does not agitate. Instead it makes a noise that's a bit grindy

Could be the clutch is worn out, belt is tired, gears inside the tranny
are bad, spline inside the top of the agitator is ground out.

http://www.applianceaid.com/gewash.html
Some "older" GE washer helps, tips, etc.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/