Andy

"John Rumm" wrote in message

If you take one out and look in it, it should be obvious (typically a
small axial plunger on a stalk with a spring, flow in one direction pushes
the plunger away from the seat and allows water to flow, in the other
direction it pushes it into its seat and prevents flow, with no flow the
spring returns the plunger to its seat.

Either way, if its a gravited fed shower on both hot and cold then you
won't need a check valve.

Thanks for your help again John. Yes both CW/HW supply is gravity
fed so I think it's the end of the road for the valves!

As you mentioned in your previous reply though, actually removing the
valves could be a bit tricky if (as I suspect) there's no movement in the
22mm pipes either side of the valve. You mentioned cutting the valve
out and joining the two pipe ends with new pipe and solder connectors.
Wouldn't I have the same issues with pipe rigidity when assembling such
a connection setup i.e somethings got to give to allow the pipe to be fitted
inside a solder connector....

Sorry for the basic questions, new to this plumbing lark!

Cheers,

Andy.