Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:06:10 -0000, "Martin Crook"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:03:12 -0000, "Martin Crook"
wrote:

Anyway.... the three saws that I liked the best also seemed to be be
liked by the reviewers. These were the Makita LS1013, the DeWalt
DW708 and an equivalent Bosch (number I can't remember). The DW was
felt to have an advantage if the extra capacity was needed and it is a
site workhorse for sure.

The Makita LS1013 came out the best in reviews and in the tool store
it certainly had the most solid feel and smooth operation by a long
way. When I looked at the same models in Home Depot, the DW708 was
frankly in a sorry state. The mechanism, which was never as good as
the Makita felt distinctly graunchy. It may be that the saw had been
dropped or something, but that was enough to put me off.

When I returned to the UK, I also looked at the Elektra Beckum.
This is also a very nice saw, made by Metabo and of high quality. I
had an opportunity to try one out and it seemed fine. It has two
advantages. The first is that it is an induction motor and therefore
quieter than the others. The second is that it is somewhat lighter.

Thanks for the comments Andy - I am going to have a look at most of these
saws in the flesh this weekend, the Makita is a bit more pricey than
intended, but I'll see how it feels - its a question of knowing where to
stop!

Martin

You're welcome. I think that going and seeing and touching is by far
the best way. You may decide that you're happy with the smaller
models that you mention - they are all good products. The thing to do
is to look at the feel of the saws and to check the size specs.
Another thing I thought of is whether the larger saws might not be too
heavy if your father is not as young as he was, so I would think about
that carefully as well if you think it might be an issue.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl