The Natural Philosopher

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article ,
Brugnospamsia wrote:

Am I the only one here who has suspended their kitchen wall units
and the microwave on 10mm threaded rod fixed to noggins screwed
between the joists ?

Not for long - doing something similar is on my list.

My memory on the details is a bit hazy but there was a loss-of-life
disaster at a disco/club in the USA (Kansas?) where the designer had
supported walkways at different levels on threaded rods from the
ceiling. The design was fine, but to make erection easier the
contractor changed the one rod with nuts at each level to a series
of shorter rods offset at each level, failing to appreciate that
this left the topmost nut carrying all the loads from below, not
just the one level.

| | | |
| | | |
| | became | |

I remember this. Featured on TV wasn't it?

Clasic case of needing in large writing 'DO IT THIS WAY NOT THAT WAY'
on the plan...