Dave Hinz

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:19:07 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 Feb 2005 21:08:47 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

which of the just over 200 variants of Unix
is the "standard version" ????

They all are. A _good_ Unix sysadmin can speak to any of them
with a minimum of retraining between.

All the _good_ Unix sysadmins I know are religious bigots who won't
dirty their hands with BSD / anything other than BSD.

Hm, you must know a different group of Unix guys than I do. Yeah,
there are the prima-donnas who will only work on their favorite
whatever, but that's a good thing to screen out in job interviews.

I mean, VI or EMACS, yeah, but if they recoil at hearing FreeBSD
and do the "I only do OPENBSD, thank you very much!" kind of
thing, then, well, the interview is effectively over. If the
response is "Well, I've done OpenBSD and NetBSD, and I understand
that Free differs in this, that, and another way, but I know where
the man pages are", then sure.

And as for the
HP-UX / Solaris / SGI freakiness.

Ehhh... it's all the same enough. I'm mostly Sun these days,
but have done a ton of all of 'em. Just fire up the
Unix Rosetta Stone when I forget what something is called or
where it is, or use the Purple Book, and we're good to go.

There's more to it than just DeadRat vs. Suse vs. Debian

I've got two of the three of those in production too. Right
tool for the right job, y'know?

Dave Hinz