Jerry Martes

Default Inexpensive oven style thermostat?

"Ignoramus21962" wrote in message

I am looking for an inexpensive oven style thermostat to make a meat
smoker with settable temperature. Range of 150-300 degrees F would be
fine. The thermostat would have to have a sensor inside an enclosure,
and control an electric range style heating element. The lowest prices
that I have seen is about $55 or so. Is there anything cheaper that
I missed?

Thanks.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ferrups-meat-smoker/

I have made my own thermostats for egg incubators, using two strips of
metal from old cans. I riveted a strip of "tin can" to a similar strip of
"aluminum", and fixed on end so the other end would swing to and from a
contact at the free end. It wasnt pretty, but it was *inexpensive*.
That "moving strip" can actuate a relay that will control the high voltage
for the heat element.

Jerry