Andy Hall

Default Dishwasher with hot feed?

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 10:43:02 +0100, Peter Hemmings
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:14:31 +0000, Martin Angove wrote:

Since dishwashers have some quite hot programmes, why is it that they
usually only have a cold feed? Washing machines rarely come without a
hot feed, why not dishwashers?

Because most dishwashers have a water softener built-in which has to be
correctly set.
I have a Bosch and when talking to their technical department on another
matter, I inadvertently mentioned that I had connected it to my "soft"
cold water feed that went to my washing machine. I was told that this
would cause a problem with corrosion as the water would be doubled
softened by the dishwasher and he seemed quite adamant about it!

That's a good one.

The simple solution is not to put salt in the dishwasher's softener.
If you are feeding the DW with softened water, its built in ion
exchange bed won't do anything anyway because there won't be any
(appreciable) calcium or magnesium ions to exchange for sodium.

Hence it does not need to be regenerated.

If the main softener is working properly, there is no such thing as
"double softening"...

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl