james

Default down the garden path part 2: paving - real stone or concrete imitation...?

hi again

My front garden path & patio are currently made of old ugly 3x2's
(concrete? total of about 44 slabs, so area about 20-25 sq.m) I was
wanting to adjust the position of the path anyway, so now I'm
wondering whether to replace it altogether while I'm about it, but not
sure if I can afford it right now...

My first question is about the cost of materials - just how much more
should it cost for real stone (of decent enough
thickness/quality/appearance) compared with the imitation moulded
stuff? Is it 20% more expensive or 100% more, or what...??

Also, I've noticed some stone paths can get quite slippery – is this a
reason for going for the imitation stuff? One company I spoke to said
they don't lay the moulded imitation stuff any more because of
problems with colour/maintenance/durability... In the long run, is it
worth paying the extra for real stone?

thanks,
james