OldNick

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:54:53 -0800, "Lane" lane (no spam) at
copperaccents dot com vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
I rented a splitter last year that spoiled me. I'll never even consider
hydraulics for splitting wood again.

The splitter was "Gripo" brand name. It used a rack driven by a pinion
on a shaft with a fairly substantial flywheel on it.

The Super Split is the same thing I think. Here is a diagram of how it
works.
http://www2.primushost.com/~logsplit/principle.html

But have you seen the _prices_ of those things?

The 24 tonne one is US$4500, where I looked!

http://www.landscapingcomplete.com/M...Splitters.html

That's a lot of time needs to be saved to make up over hydraulics at
maybe $1500.