Ian Stirling

Rex B wrote:

Bernd wrote:
"newsman" wrote in message

I need to cut a notch in the end of sched 40 3.5 inch pipe to allow 2
inch
pipe to pass through it. Available tools are reciprocating saw, drill
press
with bits up to 1 inch and bimetal hole saws, and cutting torch.
What's
the best way to do it? The notch needs to be snug because the 2 inch
pipe
will be welded to the 3.5 inch pipe using stick welding.

Mike

Note: To email me, use the address below with the q's removed:

Since you are going to weld a pipe back in, I'd use the cutting torch.
If your good with the torch the somewhat jagged hole will be welded up.
Much less effort than trying to secure in a drill press. Also you didn't
mention how long the 3.5" pipe is. Might be tough to wrestle into
position on a drill press.

I'd like to see him cut that hole with the stick welder G
Gas torch wasn't in the list of available tools.

Pass me the carbon rods, and stand well back.