Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Abe wrote:
In article ,
Abe wrote:
To disable Javascript in IE6:
1. Click Tools.
2. Select Internet options
3. Click the Security tab.
4. Click the Internet icon.
5. Click the Custom level button.
6. Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets, and select the Disable
option.
7. Click OK twice.

BZZZZT! _That_ disables _JAVA_. *Not* Javascript. The two are *entirely*
different things, linked =only= by an 'apparent' (*misleadingly* so) common
root name.
BZZZZZT! right back. If you look at:
and read the section: Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.01, 5.5, 6:
you'll see the note that says:
NOTE: In Internet Explorer, the term "Active scripting" or "ActiveX
scripting" refers to both Microsoft JScript scripting and Microsoft
Visual Basic Scripting Edition. When you complete this procedure, you
disable both types of scripts.

Sorry, Charlie, but you need to learn to read (or write) better. At the
place you cite, the 'b' step says:
"... click Disable under ACTIVE SCRIPTING AND Scripting of Java applets."
====================

*YOUR* directions mention *ONLY* the 'java applets' checkbox.

Following your directions _as_posted_ (disabling java applets *only),
*DOES*NOT* disable Javascript.

The BZZZT! _was_ accurate.

Note: The web-page you cite also _lies_ with regard to (at least some)
older versions of MSIE -- _even_though_ the "disable active scripting"
box was checked, IE *would* run both Javascript and ActiveX scripts
under proper provocation. Known to be fixed as of 5.5, Definite
problem with some installations of 4.x (all revisions), depending on
the patches applied. (both shops I just checked with went directly
from 4.x to 5.5, so no hard data on 5.0 or 5.0.1 available to me.)

-------------
I don't know why you continue to maintain that disabling active
scripting does not disable javascript.

Abe, you apparently lack reading comprehension skills.

I stated that AT A TIME IN THE PAST, under some circumstances, that MSIE's
'disable' box for "activie scripting" *did*not*function* as it was
intended to. This was a *bug* in the softare. You _do_ understand the word
"bug", don't you?

I stated that this bug _has_been_eliminated_ in later versions of the program.
If it is not obvious to you, this means I acknowledge that the newer versions
of MSIE _do_ properly "not process" javascript, when ACTIVE SCRIPTING is
disabled.

In MS terminology, disabling
scripting of java applets means disabling scripting of both java AND
javascript. I should know, as I work in the IIS group and test this
stuff regularly.

What you "know", and what *MICROSOFT* tells the world, are "incompatible".

Per the material on the Microsoft tech note that *you* were quoting as
reference earlier.. repeating, from _your_ sources:
"NOTE: In Internet Explorer, the term "Active scripting" or "ActiveX
scripting" refers to both Microsoft JScript scripting and Microsoft
Visual Basic Scripting Edition. When you complete this procedure, you
disable both types of scripts."

In MSIE version 6. (version id 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2) There are two
_separate_and_distinct_ sub-scections underthe "Scripting" section.
one for 'active scripting' (enable/disable/prompt)
one for 'scripting of Java applets' (enable/disable/prompt)

Now, why would MICROSOFT provide two _separate_ items, and publicly state
that their "javascript" is enabled/disabled by the *first* item, when *you*
KNOW that it is enabled/disabled byt the *second* one.

Note: "JScript" is Microsoft's *******ized varient of "javascript". The
one they got *sued* over their unauthorized changes to the language
(and *LOST* the suit -- had to restore the 'standard' functioning.)

I see only about two possibilities:
1) You really *do* know more about this than Microsoft. In which case
you should really share that superior knowledge with MS, so that they
can stop putting out "bad information" on their web-site. Can't imagine
why you'd ask MS for verification of something you know more about than
they do, though.
2) You don't understand that "active scripting", and "scripting of java
applets" are talking about *different* things.

In addition, when I inquired to the MS MVPs, I got
the following:
Q:
Is it possible for an end-user to disable Java Script in IE6? Where
would I do this in the UI?

Yes,
Under each security zone, look under Scripting / Active Scripting.
--
Michael Harris
Microsoft MVP Scripting

Do you note that Mr. Harris's directions, "Active Scripting", is *DIFFERENT*
than that which you claimed? to wit:

"6. Scroll down to Scripting of Java applets,..."

*IF*, as you claim, 'scripting of java applets' disables javascript,
_why_ does the other item 'active scripting' exist?