Ken Vaughn

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'll have to look again, I don't remember seeing tape drive hubs...
I have 3 or 4 1 gig tape drives in storage that aren't doing anything but
taking
up space..

The aluminum hand wheels were made from the tape drive hubs -- we're talking big
mainframe (vertical cabinet) tape drives from the 60's or 70's, the kind on
which you mounted 2400' reels of mag tape. I worked for a computer manufacturer
and there was a mandatory FCO (field change order) and the engineers who
maintained some of our sites were throwing these parts out. It took me many
years to find a use for them, but I finally did (grin).