Joseph Meehan

toller wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "toller"
wrote:
But if it does wick, then it is hot; right?
(That is what I meant by melting on the pipe and flowing in.)

Not always, but I most of the time anyway.

I was taught to:
1) Clean the pipe

and the fitting

2) Flux the pipe

and the fitting

3) Heat the pipe

This is wrong: heat the *fitting*, not the pipe. The idea is that the
fitting
will expand when heated, and contract as it cools, tightening the
joint.
4) Let the solder melt by contact with the opposite side of the
pipe and

Opposite side of the *joint*, to be precise.

You are absolutely correct; fortunately I just misspoke rather than
misunderstood; I meant fitting in all contexts.

Interestingly, my OP referred to the first soldering of the joint
failing. When I pulled it apart there was no solder on the top of the
fitting; yet it was bright and the scratches from the brush were
still visible. The pipe on the other hand was completely covered
with solder. All I can figure is that I didn't put enough flux on it, but
even if I
didn't, shouldn't enough flux have rubbed off from pipe to have
worked? Apparently not.
Anyhow, I started using twice as much flux.

I can remember once when I put in a water heater using CPVC and turned
the water back on. Everything was looking good when a little drop formed
under a fitting. I touched it and it gave way. I had totally missed that
fitting, no cleaner no solvent. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math