Charles Bishop

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , "toller"

wrote:
But if it does wick, then it is hot; right?
(That is what I meant by melting on the pipe and flowing in.)

Not always, but I most of the time anyway.

I was taught to:
1) Clean the pipe

and the fitting

2) Flux the pipe

and the fitting

3) Heat the pipe

This is wrong: heat the *fitting*, not the pipe. The idea is that the fitting
will expand when heated, and contract as it cools, tightening the joint.

4) Let the solder melt by contact with the opposite side of the pipe and

Opposite side of the *joint*, to be precise.

I've always heated both the fitting and the pipe, gently and evenly.
Testing the tip of solder on the junction every so often until it melts
then soldering the connection.

Should i not be heating the pipe at all? I thought it was best if both
were at temp.

--
charles