John B

Nice explanation and picture.
Yeah, that does look problematic.
Someone couldn't resist the tempation to add a room.
"Roger T." wrote in message

My home has a valley where a roof joint another roof and it is a V
shape, I believe it is called a hog valley.

From the center of the valley there are no roof tiles for about 1 foot
in both directions.

The problem is that this area holds standing water and I'm having
trouble with some water leaking into the attic and studs in one
particular spot. I had a roofer came and he had coated it with what
looks like some tar and then a silver aluminum colored paint/coating.

It's been raining and that spot is wet again. I think the roof guy
will warranty his work but I might have to find a way to fix it myself
because I'm in CA and it doesn't rain very often. My roof is about 8
years old and it's got a layer of old roof below it already. It could
be leaking down from some other spot but I would think it's likely the
valley..

A flat or hog valley is usually avoided by builders, as they are nearly
impossible to waterproof due to lack of proper slope. Here is a link to

what
you may have on your house; http://www.roof.cc/html/photos_problems_0.html
One of the posters above suspect the leak may be above the valley, but
whenever I have had leakage, I found a flat valley to be the cause, even
though the area looked well sealed. As others have suggested, pour from a
bucket or better yet or run water from an open (no nozzle) hose, to see

if
leak is really where you suspect. If it doesnt leak, dam up the valley so
it backs up a little, simulating heavy rain. If the leak is there, then I
would be seriously tempted to re-pitch the valley, or rebuild the decking

in
that area so there is rapid drainage. I know this isn't what you want to
hear, but valley leaks, if you have one, are damn hard to cure with

sealant,
tar or other roof repair goop.