John

"Peter Michelson" wrote in message
news:bDRQd.9917$Ps.1740@okepread06...
Thank you for your reply.

"John Fields" wrote in message

I would be interested to know the minimum complement of components

necessary
to support a single flip-flop.

---
Just one, the driver.
---

Is there a more specific term for "driver"? I am not familiar with a
component by that name.

A flip-flop basically stores a 1 or a 0, ON or OFF, respectively. It can't
switch between the two by itself. It needs additional circuitry to drive it,
or basically tell it when to switch the flip-flop from 0 to 1, and 1 to 0.

I have a similar request as the original poster. I would like to use a
momentary switch to cycle among three LEDs. Is the circuit design for

this
using flip-flops complex?

---
If you have to ask... Simple for me might be impossible for you, but

Good point. Simple for me means that few (e.g., less than 5) components

are
involved and testing can be done with a multimeter.

A component might be an IC, or a PIC which might be pretty advanced for an
electronics hobbyst.

you haven't yet described what it is you expect the momentary switch
to do.
---

As I said, I would like to cycle among three LEDs. To elaborate: one LED

is
turned on at any given time; each time I depress the momentary switch, I
would like the LED that is on to turn off, and the next LED in sequence to
turn on; the first LED is considered to follow the third in a cyclical
manner. I imagine that this circuit is functionally similar to one that
would drive marquis lights, except that instead of using a timer chip, it

is
user-driven.

A PIC would suit perfectly for this type of application but it requires some
funds for a PIC programmer (hardware) and coding the PIC (software). You'd
have to know how to program to use a PIC.

Is there an easier way to generate the same functionality?

---
What _functionality_?
---

I hope the more complete description above is easier to understand than

the
one in my first posting.

It seems that there must be some ICs out there that provide
this kind of functionality out of the box. Does anyone know of any?

---
Pretty much any µC...

Is there one in particular that is best-suited to the functionality
described above?

--
John Fields

Thanks again for your reply.