Ian Stirling

Chris Hodges wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Right, I have seen the luxeon ones. The light quality is still not that
great, I wouldn't want to use one as a work light as the OP wanted (even
if you could get enough to make it bright enough). The colour
temperature is quite variable from device to device, and also within the
beam of each LED.

The "warm white" variant?
It's distinctly different, and really does look "warm white".
The normal one is slightly more efficient, and is more variable.

I've seen them, and the emission spectrum. I found them to approximate
tungsten lighting in appearance (though possibly a bit more pink). The
spectrum is similar to that of a normal white LED: a narrow peak in the
blue and a broad fluorescence peak centred in the yellow but with a fair
bit of green and orange-red. In the warm white this doesn't simply tail
off but goes up again a bit in the red before tailing off still sithin
the visible. Colour rendering (empirical, not technical use of the
term) is good, though less so at the shortwave end. The normal luxeons
aren't bad either.

The OP might be better off with an RGB array of LEDs (which is also more
efficient) as you can balance the colours, but that would be DIY(!)
and/or expensive.

I have R/G/B 38W fluorescant lights, that I still mean to make into a
variable colour lighting fixture.