"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:20:31 -0500, "Bernie Hunt"
wrote:

Why would you care if they are ceramic or not? . They sharpen great, are
easy to get flat and don't dish like waterstones. The most important
distinction between them and waterstones is that you don't soak Shapton
stones. You use water to float away the debris. They should be used clean
rather than with a slurry like a water stone.

Well, I thought I preferred the ceramic stones because they are
impossible to wear out or dish, like all other stones I had used.
Plus, they are fast cutters. I am keeping an open mind and will keep
my eyes open for a Shapton stone. Still, it seems to me that these
Shapton stones must dish because Shapton offers a device for keeping
them flat.

Yes they do. The lower grit stones dish faster.

Curiously, I am still looking for the answer to my original post, to
wit, "Is there anything wrong with using a diamond stone to flatten a
ceramic stone." My experience seems to be that there is not but
perhaps I am missing something.

If you looked at the shapton device for flattening stones you would notice
it is diamond impregnated.
So, maybe you did miss that. Go ahead. Use whatever you want to flatten it.
Anything flat and abrasive should work.

-j