Charles Krug

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:38:59 -0600, Duane Bozarth

I've resisted getting into this but...

One thing in this whole thread I've not seen mentioned wrt to WMD is
that there appears to be a likelihood that Saddam may not actually known
that he didn't have the WMDs he may have thought he had...that the
extent of compliance was more than his advisors would admit to him.

"Everyone knew" he had them. US Presidents from Bush to Bush, Most of
Europe, certainly the Russians.

I'd wager that Israel might know better than anyone else, but I don't
think they've told anyone what they know yet.

Whenever we debriefed an officer, they invariably said, "My unit didn't
have any, but We Knew that there were Republican Guard units that DID
have them."

I've not heard that SH has said whether HE thought he had them or
whether he was deceiving his own commanders as well.

There are plenty of substantive reasons against intervention in Any
foreign country, and Iraq in particular, without needing to resort to
the myth of perfect intelligence.

But of course we're there Now and have to deal with the reality on the
ground, not the mythical Perfection of some "Plan" that was never even
proposed.