JerseyMike

"Jon Dogin" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can give me some suggestions for cutting scrap
double strength glass. I picked up a few pieces from the local junkyard.
They look to be pieces from a stereo cabinet - about 48"x12" and almost a
quarter of an inch thick. I'm trying to cut the pieces to size so that I
can use them as tops for some fish tanks. Mainly I need to do long cuts

split them in half. I was hoping to get this done at the local hardware
store, but was told that the glass that I have is double strength and that
I'd have to go to a glass shop. The glass shops are charging about

$6/cut -
that's more than I paid for the individual pieces of glass. I had one
person reccomend that I use a tile cutter for this job. Anyone have
experience using a tile cutter to cut double strength glass or have a
better/cheaper method? Thanks in advance for any help.

J.

glass from a stereo cabinet is probably tempered safety glass and you will
not be able to cut it. since it is decorative glass, there probably isn't a
safety stamp on it, but more than likely it is tempered.
hit it w/ a hammer and see if it breaks into a thousand diamond like pieces,
if it only breaks into large pieces then you'll know it wasn't
tempered....just kidding w/ ya.
since you're not sure of how to cut it, bring it back to the glass shop and
ask them, but they'll probably tell you the same thing.
the only other tip i can give you is, if there are small *dimples* anywhere
along the edges, this is a sign that the glass has been tempered,but w/out
seeing that stamp it's hit or miss you won't know until it is scored and you
try to run the cut.