Martin Crook

Default Compound mitre saws again

Looking to buy a saw for a birthday, unfortunately not mine - it's for my
dad, but I expect to make some use of it ;-)

Price range can be justified up to £400 max - the saw will get a lot of
varied diy use. I have been looking at the pros and cons of the following
saws

DeWalt DW707, this does left/right mitres to 48deg and bevels (not sure if
left and right) and will cut 60mm x 270mm, cost is about £250
For an extra £130 the DW712 at £380 gives you 50/60 left right mitres,
bevels both ways and will cut slightly larger at 70mm x 300mm plus some
extra features like groove depth stop.
In this price range there is also the Makita LS0714 (£365) which has 57/45
mitres and bevels 45/-5 but only cuts 52mm x 300mm.

I feel that the depth limitation of the LS0714 rules it out, the saw will
get a lot of varied diy use, some will need to be accurate but there will be
some bigger stuff to cut. Similarly I would prefer the DW712 over the DW707
for the extra versatility it offers, however for a similar price (£370) I
have looked at the Bosch GCM10S which has similar specs in terms of the
mitre/bevel capability but, because it has a ten inch blade, can cut 87mm x
305mm - I expect the extra depth will be handy. The larger DeWalt (DW708)
and Makita (LS1013) equivalents of the Bosch are about £520 - which is too
much. I have had a quick google and haven't seen any bad moans about any of
these saws, unlike some of the budget models. I don't have any DeWalt tools
and am aware that some think they are overpriced, I have a Makita electric
chisel and Bosch hammer drill, which have both put in years of sterling
service, but brands change and these are many years old now. I would like
to know if anyone has used any of these saws, particularly the Bosch, or if
you have used a different brand that can be recommended.

Martin