mac davis

On 15 Feb 2005 09:37:58 -0800, wrote:

Just got my new chuck-- Questions-- When I spin the chuck onto the
inboard side of the lathe, it only contacts about three threads (1 x 8
tpi) The adaptor came with two threaded holes for set screws, but no
screws. I think I would feel better if I were able to use the set
screws.
Should I worry about this?
Should the chuck adaptor have come with the screws? If not, does anyone
know the specs of the screws? ( dia & tpi)
Thanks, Phil

your chuck works fine without the set screws.. maybe better without them,
actually..
you might mess up the threads on your headstock with set screws..

You Jet mini has a tapered shaft and the threads "jam" the chuck, faceplate,
etc. as you screw them on (gently)
Cutting or sanding force tighten the chuck onto the threads..

I ground a couple of pieces of round steel stock to fit the set screw holes... a
little longer than the knobbed rod that comes with the mini and tapered so that
the rod can't go deep enough to contact the threads on the shaft..
I use the rod in the chuck adapter hole and the knobbed rod in the collar of the
headstock shaft.. I figure that it puts less strain on the hand wheel when I'm
taking the chuck off.... YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing