Grunty Grogan

I have had my mailbox up for more than 25 years...I was talking to the
mailman the other day and he said he remembered when it was new.
Took a piece of tubing, 1/4" wall, cut it in half lengthwise and used
tis for the rounded top. The ends, bottom, and sides are 1/4" plate,
18 nickel maraging steel. This is welded to a 4" concrete filled
lally column, set in concrete. I used a commercial mailbox for a
pattern, so it is "Stealth", and just to be a prick, I change its
color every few years.
The mail guy liked it so much he told the local harware store about
it, and they wanted to sell them, till thye got legal advice not to.
Every spring we pick up broken baseball bats...I never knew aluminum
bats were filled with plastic, before!!!!
One year, the little *******s tried using a crowbar. We heard him
screaming when the bar hit the box and stung his hand. Looked at the
box, saw a little tiny 60° groove where the hex bar hit the side.
Never been sued. If they sue me, at least I will know who they are
and where they live, and we'll take it from there at some point in the
future...haha.
BUT!! Last Fall, I went out to get the mail, closed the door, and the
whole thing slowly fell over backwards, like a dying cow. The lally
column rusted through all around at ground level and was bare
concrete. They use too much salt on the roads around here, I guess.
But that's an easy fix.