Bo Williams

Charles Spitzer wrote:

[...]

use a $2 carbide wheel glass cutter from the hardware store. score it in a
straight line, don't go back and rescore skips, don't retrace the line. you
should hear a skritch when scoring correctly. get some window glass and
practice first. put a pencil or dowel down under the scored line. press down
from both sides firmly. it will break, but take a good deal of pressure. if
you're lucky it will break on the line. wear gloves and eye protection.

I've never gotten the hang of one of those. There's a technique to it
that I can't quite get. I always think my scores are fine, but when I
go to separate it I only break it on the line about two-thirds of the
time, which is of course an unacceptably high failure rate.

My father-in-law does it as easily as marking on lumber with a
carpenter's pencil.

Definitely practice as much as you can before attempting your real cuts.
Or, just have the glass shop you talked to cut it. Don't think it's a
"ripoff" just because you got the glass cheap. How much will it matter
that the glass was cheap if you break it all trying to do this yourself?

[...]
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/