David,

I have my drill press mounted on a Rockler mobile base. The Rockler
base is a clone of your Delta base with the do-it-yourself hardwood
rails. I sized it to just be big enough to hold the drill press base
mounted on a sheet of 3/4" plywood. Like another responder, I bolted
the press to the plywood and the plywood to the base. Its rock solid.
One of your design choices is where to locate the pedal. I saw one in a
woodcraft store with the pedal mounted on the side. I elected to mount
the pedal on the front because it gives me maximum flexibility to put
the DP in the corner and then move it around a few inches. It also
makes it much easier to roll the drill press right up to the wall
before releasing the pedal.

I am a big fan of having the drill press on a rolling stand. One of my
projects required drilling sixty-four 1" holes along the length of a
2x6 board 8 feet long. I moved the drill press into the center of the
shop and set up a shop stand on either side to support the long board.
This would have been impossible without having a mobile drill press.

When moving the drill press, its safe, as long as you roll it slowly
and carefully. If you got in a hurry and introduced a wobble, it could
go unstable and tip over. There is no danger of it tipping while
sitting still.

Bob